Friday, April 15, 2016

RECAP: Rebels dominate game 5, take 3-2 series lead

Keith Hershmiller Photography
The Regina Pats were in Red Deer on Friday night for game 5 of their second round series. The Pats were coming off two straight wins on home ice to tie the series 2-2. Lane Zablocki scored his first career WHL playoff hattrick in game 4 and Tyler Brown made 44 saves to lead the Pats to victory. The powerplay was a massive factor in the game going 4 for 6 and heading into game 5 was 44 percent in the first four games. The Rebels Colton Bobyk did not play in game 5 as he served the second of his two game suspension. Ivan Nikolishin and Connor Bleackley remained out with injury and Red Deer went with Rylan Toth in goal, his first start since February 17th. Here are the lineup's with the starters highlighted.



de Wit-Musil-Helewka



Pats scratches - Berg, McAmmond, Gardiner, Barteaux, Pouteau and Schioler. 
Rebels scratches - Weatherill, Bobyk, Sass, Bleackley, Nikolishin, Johnson, Bains, Sakowich. 

In the first period the Pats got into some early penalty trouble and went down 2 men for 1:28. The Rebels opened the scoring on the 5 on 3 poweprlay at 3:02 when Haydn Fleury got a shot through a maze form the slot for his 1st of the playoffs. Michael Spacek and Luke Philp the assists and it was 1-0. The Pats killed off the remaining powerplay time and then got three straight peowerplays of their own but could not find the back of the net. Red Deer got their third powerplay with 1:43 left in the frame but the Pats killed it off to the break and 17 seconds carried into the second. Tyler Brown was fantastic in the first stopping 16 shots as Red Deer outshot Regina 17-9.

In the second the game tightened right up. There wasn't a lot of offence either way but the Rebels did manage to find the 2-0 goal at the 12:26 mark on a turnover at center. Brandon Hagel stole a pass and skated in on a breakaway where he beat Tyler Brown for his first of the post season. The Rebels Adam Musil was given a 5 minute major and a game for goaltender interference and the Pats went to the powerplay but could not beat Rylan Toth and the Rebels took the 2-0 lead to the break. Red Deer outshot Regins 12-10 in the period and led 29-19 overall.

In the third the Rebels took over and scored three straight. First Josh Mahura hammered a slap shot from the point for his 2nd at 3:51 to make it 3-0. Then at 4:42, Evan Polei got one to go up and over the shoulder of Tyler Brown after he tried a poke check and it was 4-0. The Pats thought they hgot that one back when Cole Sanford snapped one from the slot but it was called back on a high sticking penalty from seconds earlier. The Rebels got it to 5-0 when Grayson Pawlenchuk banged in his own rebound at 12:38 for his 2nd. Tyler Brown was taken out of the game a short time later after making 37 saves on 42 shots and Jordan Hollett came in to finish the game and give Brown the rest. The Pats denied Toth the shutout when Sean Richards buried his first career playoff goal on a backhand shot off the post and in at 14:53 and it was 5-1. That was the final score. The Rebels outshot the Pats 17-10 in the 3rd and 46-29 overall. Rebels take the 3-2 series lead with game 6 going Sunday in Regina.

The Pats powerplay was oh for 5 in the game and the penalty kill went 4 for 5.

The third star of the game went to the Rebels Luke Philp who had two assists. The second star to Rylan Toth of the Rebels who stopped 28 of 29 shots faced and the first star to Brandon Hagel who scored a goal and added a helper. 

The Pats will host game 6 on Sunday at the Brandt Centre at 4 o'clock on 620 CKRM. 

Scoring Summary

1st Period

Rebels 5v3 PP Goal at 3:02. Haydn Fleury (1) from Michael Spacek and Luke Philp. 

2nd Period

Rebels Goal at 12:26. Brandon Hagel (1) unassisted. 

3rd Period

Rebels Goal at 3:51. Josh Mahura (2) from Brandon Hagel and Adam Helewka.

Rebels Goal at 4:42. Evan Polei (5) from Braden Purtill.

Rebels Goal at 12:38. Grayson Pawlenchuk (2) from Kayle Doetzel and Luke Philp.

Pats Goal at 14:53. Sean Richards (1) from Sergey Zborovskiy and Cole Sanford.

Here are the radio highlights:

Post game interview with Assistant Coach Brad Herauf:


Anonymous said...

No energy and lack of execution caused by fatigue caused by short bench and over playing 10 or so players all playoffs. Boils down to being out coached. Seems like basic stuff.

Anonymous said...

Not enough size, toughness and depth. These things will kill you in a 6 or 7 games series but is cumulative over a a couple of series or more. Red Deer can roll four lines for the most part and they're all big and heavy as well as being skilled. Sutter knew that by pounding the Pats over four or five games that they would have nothing left. It showed in game 4 where the Rebels owned the Pats for two periods and all three last night. Each night nearly 50 shots and our small star players are playing small. Brown has been good but has let in four short side goals this series and they have all been game changers. Probably fatigue. No matter what the Pats do, their lineup is plagued by stupidity in players like Williams and Wagner taking undisciplined penalties at bad times. All season long the coaching staff has not been able to address this issue. Considering the physical beating the Pats are taking, It seems unlikely that this series will go past Sunday. I hope the Pats are taking note of how you build a championship club.

william weppler said...

Rebels "built" this team for this year and this year in sold the farm for hosting the Memorial Cup (like all teams do in that siutation). Enough with the short side goal thing! Game 6 coming up in a great talk like it should have been over in 4. Your Rebels took more "undisciplined" penalties last night but finally solved our PP, hence the difference in the game and the Rebels win.

Anonymous said...

It maybe wouldn't of made a difference but how can the refs make a penalty call after a goal was scored to wipe out the goal? The Pats Sanford scored and then they called a penalty after the fact on Freadrich. Both refs watched the imaginary high stick, made no call on the play and then after goal was scored called a penalty. As it turns out it was Helewka's own stick that hit him in the mouth. So not only did the refs blow the call but made a call after the fact. Not sure how that can happen. I know on a major it can happen but maybe also on a double minor. At any rate game should of been 4-1 with 15 min left to play but instead was 4-0 and killing a 4 min penalty. Poor call.