Add

Add

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Pats wrap up 2016 Spring Camp


The Regina Pats wrapped up 2016 Spring Training Camp with another ice session on Sunday morning. The 19 prospects will now make their way home and prepare for main training camp in the fall.

Head Coach and GM John Paddock says it was a good weekend for everyone involved. "I think it was a really exciting time. Probably equal on non hockey stuff as hockey stuff. Stuff associated with our organization from the school to our dinner last night to just talking with parents and the kids and they were all real happy and that's the most important thing."

Paddock says it's an important couple of days for the players and their families. "Why it's so good for them is they come back in August and it's comfortable for them. The kids know where the dressing room is, they know where the rinks are, they've met us, they've talked to us, they've met the guys they are going on the ice with. So they feel really comfortable and I think that's the first step to success is feeling comfortable where you are at."

Director of Scouting Dale McMullin says he is impressed with the players. "Overall I think the 2001 group that we just drafted I mean the kids carried themselves well all weekend. I think the two practices went very very well and the off ice portion of it they were polite and respectful kids and year I think it went very well."

There was one player in Regina for the weekend who did not take part in the on-ice portion of Spring Camp. Forward Nick Henry who was acquired from the Everett Silvertips at the WHL Bantam Draft in May made his way to the Queen City to get a feel foe the team that traded for his rights. Henry was originally a 3rd round pick of the Silvertips and was named the MJHL rookie of the year as a 16-year-old with the Portage Terriers this season. He says he enjoyed the weekend. "It's been awesome, it's a first class organization and it's been just a great experience overall."

The Pats traded a 6th round pick at the 2016 draft as well as a conditional pick to Everett for Henry's rights and he says the move come as a surprise. "We had just got off the ice at Westerns and my assistant coach came up and told me that my rights had been traded to Regina and I was totally shocked. It came totally by surprised... It gives me another option, somewhere to go with my college and then now I have Regina and it's good to have lots of options."

Henry who is being recruited heavily by the Pats and the NCAA says he has a big decision to make over the next couple of months. "So much stuff to think about and talk through with your parents. It's going to be one tough decision now being traded to Regina because it's just a great organization, they have a lot of great players and they have a heck of a team so it's making my decision pretty tough right now. I have all summer, and I will be coming to camp and stuff so I will think about it all summer and probably make the right decision in the end."

Henry is entering his 17-year-old season. If he were to sign with Regina the Pats would give up that undisclosed conditional draft pick.













No comments: